Monday was a very traumatic day. Emma had her 2-month old well child visit which also marked the beginning of her immunizations. Four shots the poor little girl had to get. Dusty and I both battled with the immunization decision - not with each other, but with our hearts and minds. We read and read until we couldn't read anymore. Many of our friends said they were at peace with the decision, and that it was in someone else's hands, but we still struggled. My biggest fear was to make a decision that could possibly negatively affect our child and her future. That made me sick. I continuously prayed about the situation, and still, sitting in the exam room yesterday, was not a peace with it, although all of our research and my faith should have allowed me to be at peace. So little Miss Emma received her immunizations, as we felt it was the best thing to do for her, but it was the hardest thing for mommy and daddy. As she received the shots, mommy and daddy didn't say a word - we didn't want her relating us to this pain - let her hate the nurse (silly I know). I stood behind Dusty, and I think with every shot I bawled harder and dug my nails further into his arm. (I'm crying writing this post.) I would have done anything at that moment to take her little pain and screams away. As soon as they were done, I just scooped my little girl up. She was crying. I was crying. What a mess for Dusty. Thank goodness he stays strong. Of course, Emma calmed down in less than a minute. It took mommy much, much longer.
Before you have a baby and while you're pregnant, people continuously tell you that you cannot imagine the love that you will have for the baby. That this love is unlike anything you've ever felt in your life. And, like I did, you agree, but in your mind you're thinking, I know what that feels like because I have the greatest love for my spouse. It must feel like that. But they are right and it's not until you hold that baby in your arms that you feel this love. When Emma was in my tummy, I had an overwhelming love for her, but I also could protect her, so I didn't feel the same love I do now. It's the most unimaginable feeling. Such a strong feeling of love and the need to protect. I truly understand now what people mean when they say they would die for their child.
On a happier note to end this post, Emma weighed in at a whopping 12lbs 3 ounces and was 22 3/4 inches long. She is in the 75th percentile for both her weight and height. She sure does love her milk. As the onesie my friend Kristi gave her - she's a milk enthusiast!! Wonder if she's going to be tall like her daddy?
2 comments:
I love the milk enthusiast pic! Too funny! Glad you and Emma made it through her first round of shots. I'm sorry it was so tough for you but I know you are happy to have such a love and strong feelings for someone that you can feel that way. I know she really appreciates that love!
Poor thing. I know exactly how you feel. sniff sniff. We may remember forever, but thankfully they will not :)
Post a Comment