Thursday, April 30, 2009

26 Miles for a 26th Birthday


Last weekend the Crane family journeyed to Nashville for the first annual Push Your Tush. For some this was a marathon, others a half. We headed up Friday morning to meet up with the Whitakers and Moncriefs and to attend the Health and Fitness Expo and register for the race. There were people everywhere, exciting vendors, and lots of SWAG!
After the expo, we headed to the Whitaker's new homestead. What a lovely house! Owen and Katie and the Garzas joined us for a pre-race pasta dinner and a yummy chocolate cake (for my birthday - love you girls!). What a wonderful time surrounded by some of our closest friends.

We decided to call it an early night, or try, since the boys were running in the AM. Emma does not enjoy sleeping in her pack and play. She went down like usual, but when I came up to join her and daddy, that was the end of it. Dusty and Emma ended up going for a late night cruise in the car! We also had another unhappy kiddo next door for a bit. Needless to say, there wasn't much sleep going around the house that night!

The boys got up early and hit the road; we followed closely behind. This was the first time for most of us to go to this marathon, so we weren't quite sure what to do as spectators. We decided to hop on the participant bus and try to catch a glimpse of our honies at the start line. By the time we had made it, Jimmy had already started (he was in corral #1 with the Kenyans - what a beast). We actually found Dusty - amazing!! He got to see his Emma and her little shirt that said "Go Daddy! D. Crane's Biggest Fan!" We then looked for Brent. He was no where to be found!
There were 32 corrals!
Dusty's in the blue shirt and white hat!
After the runners started, we quickly realized that venturing to the start line was not the best idea. We looked at our watches and thought if we wanted to even try to see Jimmy finish we better walk fast. We hiked down Broadway (passing some participants even) and eventually made it to LP Field Finish Line. We walked at least 4 miles or so, I'm sure!

We ended up missing Jimmy - he ran the half in two hours. We looked everywhere and could not find him. Emma and I sat down to nurse. While we nursed in a shady spot under a tree, I got to see the first place finisher for the marathon. He was FAST!! He finished the full 26 miles in just over two hours! CRAZY!


Next finisher on our list to catch was Mr. Whitaker. Becca found a great spot just shy of the finish line and we were able to see him. We were so proud. This was Brent's first half-marathon and he did incredible. He looked fabulous!!

Becca running in with Brent.


After catching Brent, we headed over to a shady spot to sit and wait for Dusty. He called us at mile 16. When he was just a little bit out, Emma and I headed to find a spot to watch for our Dusty! He called again at mile 22 and was not able to speak. He just whispered. I was terrified. Part of me wanted to just tell him to catch a ride with a medic and come on in, but the other part of me who knew how hard he had worked for this and how much he wanted it, told him to keep going. Just walk in, I told him. I am, he replied in a whisper. I sat there, knots in my stomach, checking the clock on my phone every two minutes. Every time an ambulance siren went off, I worried.


Thank goodness for our friend Jimmy. He met Dusty at mile 24 and ran in with him. I was so thankful for him! When Jimmy did the Ironman last year, his wife Brittany ran in with him on the last part of the marathon in her teva flip flops with Ada in the front pack. I couldn't believe she had done that at the time and never dreamed that I could do it, but now I understand. I would have run in with Dusty in a heartbeat. I would have done anything to encourage him and give him strength to accomplish his goal.


Finally after the waiting and worrying, Dusty and Jimmy appeared at the bottom of the hill. They cruised by, Dusty flashed Emma and I an I love you. Butterflies filled my stomach and pride filled my heart. He had done it. 26 miles for his 26th birthday. When we met up with Dusty after he crossed the finish line, he and I hugged and cried. What an awesome feeling.

Dusty and Jimm running towards the finish line.
After a long day, Emma wasn't too impressed by her daddy's 26 mile run!
My Marathon Finisher!
Our three runners!



PS check out Becca's blog for more on the marathon and pictures! http://bandbwhitaker.blogspot.com/

2 comments:

Meagan said...

WOW! That is amazing! I got tears in my eyes just reading your post, so I can't imagine being YOU, THERE, wathcing YOUR HUBBY accomplish such a huge thing! Please tell him I said congratulations! I am VERY impressed!

ariel said...

What an awesome accomplishment! I'm so proud of you Dustmite! I'm with Meag - totally teared up reading this post esp the part of Jimmy going out to finish the race with Dust. That is incredible! YAY! What a great post! And you need more pics of his #1 fan's awesome tshirt!!