Sunday, November 30, 2008

and now...a change in poop

After a failed Thanksgiving attempt to feed Emma rice cereal, we tried twice more during the weekend. The second time, she was ready - ready to block that cereal. Sitting in her bumbo seat, she quickly grabbed her bib, successfully blocking her mouth from the incoming spoon. She then proceeded to cry, thus ending attempt number two on the feeding. I have approached the feeding with mixed emotions, excitement for Emma and her milestone and sadness that it's all flying by too quickly. Dusty reassured me that Emma was just helping me take it slow!

Emma has shown all the signs of being ready to start eating "solids". She can hold her head up well, is over four months, and LOVES to watch us eat. She is so interested in food and drinks. When I hold her during a meal, she watches the food go from the plate to my mouth with such interest. She loves to reach out and touch drinks. She tried to drink out of my water bottle the other day.

Since she has such an interest in food, we decided to make attempt number three during our dinner. We thought she may show more interest. We were correct! The feeding started out slowly, with the bib being much more tasty - and entertaining - than the cereal. She finally started letting me get some in her mouth. By the end, she would whine if I didn't get the spoon to her quick enough! She would open her mouth wide to let the cereal in! She especially loved mixing the cereal bites with bites of finger in between. Yummy yummy!!

My little girl is growing up so quickly. I love you Em.

(and for those of you reading - Dusty titled this post - surprise surprise)

4 comments:

Allyson said...

Hooray!! I can't believe she's big enough to eat solids!

Hey, let me share what a fellow Mom taught me a few months ago when she started feeding her daughter solids. She was quite messy when she would put her fingers in her mouth between bites, so she gave her a wet washcloth to hold, so when she brought her fingers up to her mouth, she wiped her own mouth! You may already know this trick, but wanted to share just in case! I thought it was ingenious! :)

Meagan said...

So glad you have cereal success! ;-)

ariel said...

Love the title and I'm so glad she finally accepted the food! Very exciting!!

Duane said...

Oh now the fun starts! I used to love buying her the jars of food and seeing how she reacted to it! She is so gorgeous Melissa. I now how proud you guys are of her. Hope you had a great holiday and early Merry Christmas.